Friday, March 26, 2010

Up to this point Andrea has been doing all of the blog entries. This is my first.

Spoiler Alert!!!!! Pyle Family beware reading this post you will want to come down to Neuvo Vallart and meet this man and buy his inventory.


At the resort we are staying at there are a few vendors that are allowed to set up tables to sell their collectables. There is one vendor that is beyond anything that I have seen here before.

We had gone walking through the markets in Bucerias and every vendor had all of the same inventory. This was frustrating because I wanted to get somthing that the vendor made themselves and was uniquie. Not mass-produced.

Coming back to the hotel I found such a vendor. His name is Oscar and he is a Lapidary (stone and gem cutter/shaper).

These are some pictures of what he was selling. You just picked your stones and he makes you any type of jewlery that you want. Andrea and I got necklaces. He is also going to carve me a cross out of mother of pearl and have it to me on Sunday.

Can you pick out any familiar stones?
There is turqouise, lapis, petrified wood, jasper, sandstone, agate, amber, jade and more that my dad could identifiy.
This is the man, he just made Andrea's necklace. The beads are tiger eye carved in to hearts and th pendent is jasper. I will take some better pictures of both of our necklaces latter.

Big chunk of coral


Amber, and some fossiles


raw fire opal, a big as a grape.




Beautiful piece of amber.







Amber


Mother of pearl beads on the left with the the black pendent.



This is a six pound necklace that he wears. The stones are clay and jade. Aztec artifacts that he has found in his travels.



Oscar is making my necklace, green jade from the Chiapas a mexico state next to Guatamala and shark vertabrea and white jade towards the ends.


Author with the Man himself.

1 comment:

  1. okay, do you want my order!!! It all looks great, that coral piece is gorgeous, I believe that my birthday is this Sunday!!! HINT

    ReplyDelete