Today was the most amazing day in my entire life. (excluding my wedding day).
We started the day around 9am eating breakfast overlooking the ocean where we could see some whales that ventured into the bay. The water was so calm. The view was just breathtaking.
Around 10am we made our way over to Puerto Vallarta Adventures. We had an hour before our tour started so we walked around and watched the dolphins for a little bit. One of the trainers jumped into the water with them and all of the dolphins circled around her wanting her attention. It was pretty neat.
Then at 11am our adventure officially began. All 21 of us got into a speed boat where we took a 45 minute ride far south of Puerto Vallarta. Once we arrived, we were split into two groups. Then we aboarded a large unimog. We drove through the jungle until we arrived at the base camp.
At base camp, we had to give up all of our belongings. We were allowed to bring only three items with us. Our shoes, shorts, and shirt. Then we were given helmets and our zip line equipment. After everyone was ready, we were taken to a briefing area where we learned the rules. Once the rules were covered, we were each given a mule based on our size. We rode the mules up to almost the top of the zip line course. We had to hike a little ways to reach the first zip line.
I was the fourth person to go. After the guide hooked me up, I said I needed another minute. I was hestitant for the first one but I did really well. The first one is the easiest so you can learn to get a feel when you need to break.
After the first two zip lines I felt like I knew what Iwas doing and felt comfortable with it. Not soon afterwards, I got really scared when they wanted me to zipline down towards the waterfall. It took me a good five minutes as I could not bring myself to let go. After some convincing from the guide, I let go and a second later was safely in the care of the next guide. After a second of relief, I realized I was in for a bigger challenge. Repelling down a waterfall.
Jeff went down the first waterfall with ease as he is experienced. Then it was my turn. I turned around to face the wall only to find out I could not lean back to make that first step over the ledge. Oh was it scary!!! My legs were shaking uncontrollably. I was frozen with fear that the guides had to release me to get the others down. I took a good 5-10 minutes to recovery before trying again. This time one of the guides was going to repel down with me. After some convincing, I was finally able to make my way over the ledge. That is really the hardest part. Once on the wall, I was able to make my way slowly but surely. I was so excited to land in the water I didn't mind how cold the water was. Afterwards, we did a few more zip lines and I started to feel comfortable again and the shaking stopped.
We went across a single line of rope while holding onto a rope above our heads. Then we did a short zip line straight into some water. While I was approaching the water the two guides pulled on the lines to make me do a cannon ball in the water. It was awesome and helped me losen up some more. Then we went across two rope latters before I realized what was ahead of me.
It was another waterfall but this time we were doing a free fall repel. I waited nervously until it was my time. Then when I was suppose to go, I begged for another minute. Now at this point, all of the guides know me and how chicken I am. They have also been very sympathetic. However, I must have worn out their empathy because right after I asked for my extra minute to gain my confidence he pushed me off the ledge with a large smile on his face.
The free fall was amazing. I can't describe it. When I looked up at the waterfall, I can't believe I did it. It was a self confidence boost I've never had before. After the second watefall we did a few more ziplines. The last zip line Jeff and I were able to go together at the same time. I would like to state that I beat Jeff to the other side.
To get back to base camp we had to walk across a few steams which felt great. Back at base camp we did a group cheer and returned our equipment. Then we all grabbed some food that was provided while we went though about 500 pictures the photographer took. We created our own disc with all of our photos. Our netbook doesn't have a DVD drive so you'll have to wait until we get back when I can upload them. The pictures are awesome! Can't wait to share with everyone.
On the way home, the speedboat ride was crazy! The waves were so big that it felt like we were on a roller coaster ride. When we got back to Puerto Vallarta Adventures, they were ready or us and called taxis for everyone.
Now we are back at the hotel, relaxing by the pool. A few more hours of this and then we'll probably grab dinner at the Italian restaurant at the hotel.
Again, the most amazing day of my life!
sounds like an adventure! I would love to do some thing like that some day! I have not made it very far out of the us...o wait I haven't.
ReplyDeleteO..and that sounds like it would have tore Jeffs back apart, I don't have a bad back and it makes mine ache just thinking about it!
ReplyDelete