Thursday, November 17, 2011

Finally, Answers!

This morning was our appointment with the Rheumatologist.  When the Dr. first got into the room he started asking Jeff a bunch of questions which Jeff seemed to answer no to a lot of them.  That made me start thinking that the Dr. wasn’t going to have any answers for us.  After examining Jeff, he went through his bone scan and x-rays from 3-4 years ago and started to ask Jeff more questions about where he feels pain.  The Dr. then showed us where he was seeing inflammation on the bone scan and x-rays.  He then stated that Jeff has spondyloarthritis. These were the same scans that we’ve been told came back normal! Also the MRI Jeff had done a while back cut off right before the area on his spine where the inflammation would have shown up on the MRI!  The answer was in Jeff’s records all along.  We just had to find the right doctor who knew what to look for.

We finally have a diagnosis!  I couldn’t believe it.  I think Jeff & I were both in shock.  Part of me didn’t believe that we finally know the name of the disease Jeff’s been battling for so long.

The Dr prescribed Jeff an anti-inflammatory drug to start. The drug can cure stiffness and pain.  We have a follow up visit in a couple weeks to check in. The treatments are successful in 80% of the patients diagnosed with this disease.  Jeff and I really excited and optimistic that he’ll get better with treatment.  We are going out to dinner to celebrate and hopefully start living life again.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you both. Now you can focus on how to ease the pain and make the best decisions on Jeff's treatment and recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANDREA THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!! I am so happy for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful news! Mom told me today! Everyone is so relieved. It has been troubling me for a long long time to see my brother going through such pain. I hope he will be feeling better and you guys are able to have a normal life again. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete