Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Doing What’s Right For Me

For the past year I’ve struggled with juggling work, life, and school.  During a very turbulent year at home and work, I chose to take time off from school.  Only very recently have I felt like things have started to begin to settle down at work and at home. 

I starting pondering when I should enroll back in school now that my life is beginning to calm down.  I decided the summer quarter would be the best time but  as life has its own timetable, I found out my deadline was April 11th or be dropped from the program.

I’ve been really struggling with the idea of starting school again and April 11th was way too soon for me to jump back into the 20+ school week.  Jeff and I took a spontaneous, much needed weekend vacation camping on the Hood Canal.  I was reading Bethany Frankel’s book, “A Place of Yes” when I realized I had been going to school for all the wrong reasons.  I was going because the fear of what if I am the sole bread winner for my family for years to come.  The feelings that this is what I’m suppose to do to get ahead in my career.  The wanting to please my friends, family, and co-workers that I’m doing something great with my life. Finally I realized that deep down I didn’t want to go to school.  I like my life.  I like my job.  I’m already happy and successful in my career.  I don’t need a degree to feel more secure about the future. 

So after a very eye opening and relaxing weekend, I made the decision that I will no longer be pursuing my degree.  A huge weight has been lifted and I know I’m doing what is right for me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you, Andrea. 'Hope all continues to go well. :) Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm glad you got that weight off. It's gotta feel good! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete